Sunday, January 11, 2009

Confessions of a chlorine victim

I can't determine whether this is pink or not, but it's just about the closest thing I can find.

I've decided to become Catholic. Okay, not really. (Nothing personal...) However, I have decided to take on the idea of a confessional for my new blog. I've become a pretty honest and straight-forward person throughout the past few years-which is both a blessing and a curse. In the long run, I can honestly say that I tried my best not to break one of the 'big 10.'

For now, I'll let you in on something that really-and I mean REALLY gets to me. Kids. Now, you're probably thinking to yourself 'Gee, Jenn, aren't you a teacher?' Of course. Which opens my eyes to the difference in up-bringings since I was a kid...not so long ago.

James and I went to our resort for the first time this weekend and went swimming in an indoor pool. At first, we were the only two there-which was fantastic! The water was clear and warm and the hot tub was even more relaxing! About an hour or so into our relaxing dip, a middle aged mother and her 4 year old daughter made their way in. During their stay, the mom kept telling the little girl to 'hush!' and 'be quiet!' At a pool. A PUBLIC pool. THIS is what bothered me.

After a few hours of resting and put-put, James and I took another swim before leaving for the camper. This is when we encountered about 5-6 hispanic young teens horseplaying in one of the hot tubs. I guess they thought I was a teenager-as most people do-and thought they'd show off their 'sweet flips.' Needless to say, they thought wrong. Two younger white boys came our way splashing and breathing down James' neck. After about 5 minutes of torture, I spoke up and said 'Look, you have a whole pool. You don't need to come over here and bother us.' Harsh? Maybe. Effective? Definately. James and I later headed to an outdoor hot tub and the youngest boy followed behind. He'd open the door and say 'brr!' and close it. He finally got the ba...er...nerves to make his way out and, as soon as his toe hit the water, we were out. Poor boy just wants a friend. Sure. Okay.

Later we met a black family. 3 boys and Momma. I felt almost as if I were watching a Tyler Perry movie! Now, please don't mistaken my words for 'racial profiling' or some crap like that. Lemme get to my point. These three boys were scared of their mom-who was busy posing for her 4 year old-who was taking MySpace pictures for her. (Soooo funny!) They had their share of fun, even pushing the limits at times, but Momma kept them in line.

I just have to say-when I was a kid, I feared every adult. I behaved in public. At home, well, that was a different story. But I had this idea that every adult knew every adult and I'd get busted if I even tried to do something stupid. Where has this idea gone? Children aren't afraid of anyone-as evident full-time teaching job.

And, I'm still looking for the book 'Mrs. Nelson is Missing.' I need a scare tactic...Muahaha!

So, to sum it all up, if you have kids-love them. If you love them, you'll make them mind. If you make them mind, delusional, chlorine-burnt insomniacs like me will sleep soundly-even if in part thanks to Advil PM.

Sweetest of dreams,
Barney Rubble

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
nothing ever turns out right. only left.. Design by Exotic Mommie. Illustraion By DaPino